Monday, March 15, 2010

Lenten Series #26: Pre- Spring Break Update I

I feel really busy! This is the week before spring break and it seems that every hour of my day is planned out. Either by meetings or things i need to get down before we head out for break. The first week of break i will be taking a nine students to Atlanta, Georgia as a service trip to examine and focus on the issue of homelessness. We have a full schedule of projects planned (minus two days that i am still working on). I am extremely excited!  This excitement stems form not just going to ATL to do work, but because of the group of students I am taking are phenomenal! Next week, I will try to blog while in Atlanta but that may be difficult.   The quote that is guiding our trip is simply:
If you have come to help me, you are wasting your time. If you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together." -Lilla Watson, Australian Aboriginal Elder and Activist speaking to missionaries. 

This is the focus I would like our students to have as we navigate the waters of homelessness.  It is important to realize that we are not free to all are free and homelessness is a bondage that many of our brothers and sisters are facing. Don't get me wrong helping is necessary, but i think what Lila was saying was that firs the realization of the link of our liberation will change the way you help and they way you treat me and the way you interact with me. When we work together the power dynamics shift. You don't see yourself better than me, and thus i am no longer invisible but seen as an integral part of the team. 


Now imagine if the church took this approach. Imagine if we begun working with folks and being part of the team and not looking to just help or seeking recognition. Imagine if titles were not a big deal, but instead set ourselves free from the bondage of self-promotion and power gluttony.  Goodnight!


Peace, Love and Prosperity, 
RevMAH

No comments: