Friday, February 26, 2010

Lenten Series #9: I Love My Job!


I'm just going to say it...I Love My Job! 

This is a statement that not everyone gets the chance to say. I count it a joy, a privilege, and I really don’t take it lightly. Rarely ever do I have to use the phrase “T.G.I.F.”(Well except for this week because of a campus situation my office had to respond to, I think I’ll talk more about that in tomorrow’s blog because I am still processing it all).   

But getting back to how much I love this job… I get paid to get to know students, to attend events, to provide at times just a ministry of presence. Tonight, I got to chill with many different students (mainly from CBS, our version of a BSU) as they sang oldies but goodies while eating pizza and wings. Tomorrow, I get to share in the Jewish holiday of Purim, and on Sunday evening I will have dinner and conversation with the students chosen to go to Atlanta with me during spring break as we concentrate on the issue of homelessness. 

In addition, I get to counselor students who are having hard time either dealing with deaths, relationships or just adjusting to college life. I mentor students (particularly males) who are seeking a role-model (whether willingly or as a consequence to some actions). I comfort students through hard situations, and rejoice with them when things seem to be going great! I plan and re-design programs with students in mind.  Also, I get the chance to collaborate with brilliant professors, and I have even been asked to share insights in some classes.   

All that I have just described is just a mere glimpse at the blessing God has given me. And I don’t take it lightly.  I could talk about the hard stuff; the long nights (at times). The meetings I go to in order to plan for another meeting.  The meager pay for working 2 different jobs. I could list more, but “My good days, outweigh my bad days, so I won’t complain!”  I echo our dear friend, Paul:

“I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.” Philippians 4:11-12

Peace, Love, and Prosperity, 
RevMAH

No comments: