Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lenten Series #6: The Call

Call to Gospel Ministry:

Upon entry into undergrad at UMBC, I was a Computer Engineer. I loved it for a year and a half, and then the passion dwindled. As a result, I changed my major to Mathematics. I love math, and I have always enjoyed it. In high school, I was always in accelerated math courses.

I do not know why I selected computer engineering, when in fact, my passion was for math. At least I thought this, until the summer of 2005 while in Columbia, Missouri conducting computer science and mathematics research at a local university. The town and the people were great; nevertheless, I hated the research I was conducting, and at times I became very lonely. Being from Baltimore, I missed the city life, my friends and my family. Even so, this was the best summer of my life. Why? Because GOD met me there, and we had a chance to truly commune. It was in Missouri that God spoke to me (at a tree I can still picture and remember) and told me to leave it all, even the stability of my scholarship to follow God. I was afraid, but did just what God said. 

At that time, I acknowledged and truly began to struggle with the call to ministry. I knew that if GOD called me and I did not go, the weight of punishment would be the same as if GOD did not call me and I went. I knew that GOD had something great in store for me, but not that!
After returning from Missouri, seeking counsel from my pastors, listening to GOD, and allowing God to lead me to Isaiah 6, I realized that GOD was telling me that ministry was indeed God's will for my life. God told me that They needed someone to go, and I asked myself, “Michael will you go?” 

It was August 7, 2004, when I said, “Lord, here am I, send me”. Even until this day, do not know where exactly God is sending me, or how exactly I will get there, but I do know that...

If Jesus goes with me, I’ll go anywhere! ’Tis Heaven to me, where’ I may be, if He is there! I count it a privilege, this cross to bear. If Jesus goes with me, I’ll go, anywhere!”- C. Austin Miles. 

Go, anywhere... Yes, the call has taken me away from my family and friends.
Go, anywhere... Yes, the call has taken me to Grinnell, Iowa.
Go, anywhere... Yes, the call has taken me into student affairs/ college setting.
Go, anywhere... Yes, the call has taken me exactly where God needs me to be!

Although I am a sinner saved by God's undeserving grace and mercy, I want to allow God's light shinning through me to draw seekers closer.


Peace, Love, and Prosperity, 
RevMAH

No comments: