Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lenten Series #7: The Journey


What essentially, does your call to ministry mean in your life?
This call reminds me that I am on a journey. One with ups and downs, turns and stop signs. But it is one that pushes me forward as I seek God's will. One that is taking me all across this country, this world, and one that keeps me humbled. 

When I first left home to go to seminary, i knew that when my time was done,  I  would immediately be called to a medium size church to serve as pastor or associate pastor. If you would have told me then that I would have be in ministry at a small private liberal arts college, i would have laughed at you.   But as God pruuned me and prepared me,  I begun to see my desires shifting to become God's desires for my life.  God opened me up to an entire new avenue. Well, i must give credit to my experience at Candler, and within the Emory office of Religious Life (which was through my Contextual Education experience). They opened my eyes to seeing how God could use, even me, on a college campus to assist young adults as they seek to make meaning of their lives.  What a journey God has taken me on!

It is now, after my seminary experience, that I realize that I have been called into the fullness of ministry that is not just centered around preaching, but around caring for people and meeting the needs of the community through the love of Christ. So now, I have a purpose for living. I get excited because this call is not a 9 to 5. But it is a lifestyle and a continual process. So not only do I have a purpose, but I have a direction to follow. Yes, I am applying myself to be a minister of The Gospel. In doing this, my ultimate goal in life is simple. I believe that "If I can help somebody as I pass along, then my living shall not be in vain.” My plan is that my love for Christ and His people will manifest in strengthening the lives of others.  This happens in the pulpit and in my daily life, which includes all of who I am. again i echo that this call is a journey!

This calls means that I continue my desire to work within higher education in student affairs. This has been my ministry and my calling since my days in undergrad at UMBC.   So, it is my desire to continue within higher education, while pursuing my ministry as a Multicultural Diversity Educator and Christian Worship &Liturgical Arts Consultant. Again, this year I finally realized that ministry for me is beyond preaching. Although, I believe I am a good preacher, and I love to proclaim the gospel and I pray for more opportunities to preach, I have come to the point where I know I am called to MINISTRY, meeting people where they are. Just as the prophet Ezekiel did when he went to the Judean exiles and, “was overwhelmed and sat among them...” (Ezekiel 3:15, NLT).  What best place to do such work then on a college campus, with young people who are seeking to find their way, walking thier own journey, desiring their own call.  

This call of ministry is a journey and has entrenched itself in the totality of my life. 
 
Peace, Love, and Prosperity, 
RevMAH

No comments: