Friday, February 19, 2010

Lenten Series #3: Role-Modeling

This has been a very long week!!!!!!!!! As I reflect back over I am grateful for having a great job where I get to minister to college students in a unique setting. 

Since Tiger’s confession seems to be all over the blog-sphere today, I thought I would say a few words. The interesting thing is that these words have nothing to do with Tiger, but instead has a lot to do with me they are a deep reflection on how I live and want to live my life. By no means am I perfect, nor will I say I am the best role-model there is. However, I will not be naive and say that I am no role-model because no matter what, I know people are watching. 

Whether it is the little girl from my church who hugs me every time I go back home or the students who needs to meet with talk about his lack of motivation, or my little sister who is in her first year of college. I know that people are watching. And thus I must do my best to exude excellence, honesty, Yet knowing that I am grateful that I am not in the media spotlight because if the truth be told, I don’t want all my secrets let out into the light. 

When Peter denied Jesus 3 times, Jesus still met him at what might have been one of his darkest hours and said ”Do you love me?...feed my sheep” Though we may fall from the world graces and though we all have skeletons in our closet. I still hear the Lords voice saying “Tend to my sheep!” That is why I am grateful because despite myself, God gives me a second, third, fourth, 389th time to get it right! To light my light shine! To be a witness of God’s love! To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with my God! (Micah 6:8)

This is a short blog today because as I stated, it’s been a long week! But I leave you with these words from Jesus, the ultimate role model that many of us profess to want to be like, yet continually miss the mark. Jesus says: 

“You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hidden. No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your God in heaven.” (Matthews 5:14-16)

This passage helps me when I think before I act, and causes me to ask the question what light does folks see when the look /interact with me? Ohh how I pray that they see JESUS!

Peace, Love, and Prosperity,

-RevMAH

No comments: