Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lenten Series #1: HUMILITY- The Breathe of God

okay let me be honest... yesterday and this morning I was not happy that our office (Religious Life) was forced to move our Ash Wednesday service that was to be at noon, to now having one in the morning and one at night to accommodate the college's announcing the new president. I was not a happy camper!! But then this morning, during the first service, my boss the Dean of Religious Life said something simple yet profound in her closing prayer, something like:

"O God we know we are just dust and are nothing without you breathing in us, through us and all around us"


That hit me!!! Not only is God's breathe in us, but it’s all around us. As she continued praying I pictured this mighty wind surrounding me and if it stopped for even a second, every part of me would fall to ground, and become dust.


Echoes of Psalms 139 filled my soul “O LORD, you have searched me and you know me…Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?” I don’t want to go, I don’t want to flee because then I will be useless as dust.


In other words, I WAS HUMBLED! I was gently reminded that this journey through Lent is a reminder of not what we can do, but that we cannot do, better yet we cannot BE without God. And so my attitude changed and I even decided to go back to my apartment to wear a little more business attire to get ready to meet the President ( not a suit, but a button up shirt :) )


Ill save talking about the new President and others details surrounding that until tomorrow. Because it has been a LOOONNGGGGG DAY!! Goodnight my friends. I leave you with these simple words by Daniel Iverson...


"Spirit of the living God, fall fresh on me.
Spirit of the living God, fall fresh on me.
Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me.
Spirit of the living God, fall fresh on me."


Peace, Love, and Prosperity,

-RevMAH

No comments: